Saturday 5 September 2009

Autumn leaves

The nights are drawing in, autumn is hanging around the park gates, it's getting more tempting to stay in bed for a few more minutes in the morning. Even though the seasons change, the timetable of work and school stays the same.

It's even more of a shock to the system later in the year and then in the spring when the clocks start being switched backwards and forwards. I've never been convinced about the need for all that messing around with the time.

What happens to people's sleep when the hour is shifted?

A study in the United States has looked at what happens when the clocks are moved forward.

People don't readjust by going to bed earlier, instead they sleep less. Sleep deprived workers are more likely to make mistakes - and researchers found a marked increase in workplace accidents on the Monday following the change of clocks. These accidents caused lost days - and in a really striking statistic, the researchers found a 68% increase in lost work days following the clocks being changed.

Ignoring the need to sleep can cost more than a few tired hours.

1 comment:

  1. I've been following on here for quite a while, and always enjoy your insights. As an insomniac (self diagnosed, I hasten to add, although it's fairly easy to do so...) it makes great reading. This year, again, when the clocks go back into winter time, I'm working a night shift in my job as a paramedic, so my 12 hours become 13 hours, and if I get a late call, that could easily roll on to 14 plus... I never seem to get the shift where I'd be at work an hour less... Oh well. Guess if they're going to give the stretched shift to anyone, it might as well be an insomniac!

    ReplyDelete